Surgery RN – Part Time
This position contributes to the fulfillment of Thayer County Health Services vision and mission by exercising appropriate nursing judgment based on knowledge, skills and understanding in nursing situations, participates in planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care, is involved in a quality assurance program to provide optimal patient care in the surgical setting.
Reports to the Surgery Supervisor and Chief Nursing Officer.
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and possess a current valid state Nursing License.
• Maintains current CPR, ACLS, and NRP certifications.
• Must have good communication skills.
• Performs nursing care and services for patients such as observing and recording signs and symptoms, administering sterile treatments, using and caring for special equipment, and assisting with recovery of patients, according to medical and/or nursing plan.
• Prepares, administers and documents oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular and intravenous medications; observes site of insertion, rate of flow in IV’s and discontinues IV’s.
• Assists physicians, nurses and others as required; responsible for total patient care of patients assigned and delegation of duties to appropriate personnel as necessary.
• Performs duties in care and cleaning of surgery area and equipment after use, prepare and sterilize patient instruments and supplies, keep utility and service rooms in order.
• Observes, records, and reports to the appropriate persons, general and specific physical and mental conditions of patients, and signs and symptoms which may be indicative of change.
• Performs selected procedures and treatments, provides nursing care in Pre-op Area, Operating Room and Recovery Room following demonstration of competence.
• Participates in planning care for patients utilizing physician orders, instructions, established standards, nursing techniques, policies and procedures.
• Promotes patient education and assists in teaching patient health maintenance and self-care.
• Studies and evaluates trends and developments in nursing practices with thought of their adaptability to the specific needs.
• Assumes responsibility for accuracy of procedures, documentation and maintenance of high standards of nursing care. Maintains accurate and complete records.
• Verifies electronically placed provider orders in a timely manner.
• Assists, implements, and evaluates surgical patient care.
• Assists in training and orientation of new employees.
• Participates in Quality Assurance, committees where requested/needed, attends in-service programs, staff and employee meetings and required educational trainings.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Recognized and has a commitment to meet the ethical, moral and legal obligations of nursing.
• Maintains and promotes good health practices.
• Will conform to TCHS policies and procedures.
• Will perform all duties as described by the job description within the scope of licensure.
• Maintains current professional license/certifications in accordance with state law.
• Provides leadership in medical concerns in the absence of the physician.
• Does not discuss patient matters such as medical treatment, diagnosis or history outside of the clinical setting in keeping with the maintenance of HIPAA compliance.
• Maintains the TCHS Behavior Standards.
• Willingly accepts new responsibilities and cooperates with implementation of change.
• Ensures pay roll and time card information is complete and accurate every pay period.
• Dresses in a neat, clean uniform for patient care; maintains high personal hygiene standards.
Posted on 3/24/2015