Registration Clerk – Full Time, Posted on 8/22/2016
External and Internal Candidates may apply at www.thayercountyhealth.com – click on Careers
This position contributes to the fulfillment of Thayer County Health Services vision and mission by registering patients for clinic, hospital, lab, radiology, rehab and specialty services accurately, completely, and timely by following established standards and procedures. The Registration Clerk is responsible for maximizing hospital reimbursement by utilizing sound knowledge of insurance requirements, upholds patient confidentiality and rights, and recognizes patients immediate needs and acts appropriately to meet their needs. In all interactions, the Registration Clerk projects a caring and professional attitude towards patients, physicians, physician office staff, visitors, co-workers and all personnel.
SUPERVISION: Reports to Revenue Cycle Director
SHIFT: Full Time, Non-Exempt, 40 hours/week 7 am – 3:30 pm M-F with alternating Saturday mornings
• High School Diploma is required.
• Knowledge of medical terminology is preferred.
• Prior experience with registration functions for a Rural Health Clinic is preferred.
• Computer and keyboarding skills required.
• Maintains excellent phone skills emphasizing customer service excellence.
• Greets patients in prompt fashion, inquiring of their needs and assisting when needed.
• Registers current and future patients for clinic, hospital, lab, radiology, rehab and specialty appointments and procedures according to departmental guidelines.
• Obtains data required to initiate and/or complete patient records including verification of all demographic, employment, retirement, accident and insurance information to ensure accuracy.
• Ensure insurance precertification, referral, and authorization requirements have been met for commercial, government and worker’s compensation payers.
• Obtains authorization signatures for consent to treatment, release of information, financial responsibility, and any other necessary forms.
• Scans insurance cards, referrals, consents and patient identification documents into document imaging software.
• Determines and collects patient co-pays, deductibles and applicable co-insurance amounts required by insurance guidelines and internal policies and procedures.
• Refers patients to the Financial Counselor as needed.
• Follows up on obtaining any required information that is unavailable at the time of registration.
• Counts and balances cash drawer, completes deposit and follows department process for all monies collected.
• General secretarial duties as needed.
• Works flexible work schedule hours as required.
• Works in CPSI and Allscripts software systems, as well as any other systems required for performing required job duties.
• Assumes responsibility for personal and professional growth through participation in department meetings, in-service programs, continuing education programs, and fulfills yearly requirements as stated by policy.
• Assists in orientation of new staff.
• Participates in achieving organizational goals.
• Maintains effective working relationships with patients, visitors, physicians, office staff, hospital personnel, and the public.
• Assures confidentiality of patient and hospital information, maintaining compliance with policies and procedures.
• Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.