This position contributes to the fulfillment of Thayer County Health Services vision and mission by being responsible for clinical process transformation processes related to development, implementation, and evaluation of the electronic health record (EHR). This position works collaboratively with clinical informatics, information technology, and multidisciplinary teams to ensure the integration of nursing/clinical science with computer science within clinical applications.
SHIFT: Full Time, 40 hours/week, Days-8 hours
Reports to the Chief Nursing Officer
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and possess a current valid Nebraska state RN nursing license or current compact state license.
• Maintains current CPR status.
• Bachelor’s degree in Nursing preferred with a focus on informatics.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in clinical setting
• Excellent personnel management skills required.
• Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, required as well as customer service skills.
• Various hardware and software equipment and programs preferred, as well as use of office equipment, supplies, and audiovisual equipment preferred.
• Participates in the development and maintenance of clinical applications, including interfaces, policies procedures, through collaboration with all clinical departments.
• Coordinates all aspects of system updates along with the information technology department which includes reviewing release notes and coordinates set up, implementing and training affected clinical departments, updating policies and procedures related to clinical informatics, and maintaining a flexible work schedule to assist with installations, repairs, upgrades and projects that must be performed during non-heavy duty periods.
• Assess information and knowledge needs of health care professionals and patients to improve quality and patient care outcomes.
• Maintain a thorough understanding and working knowledge of the core applications and their association with other information systems within the organization.
• Participate in research related to the clinical information system and other practice issues as appropriate
• Provide leadership in the development and revision of initiatives, programs, and systems related to data collection, retrieval, analysis, and interpretation which assist in optimizing patient outcomes, quality of care delivery, patient safety, effectiveness, and efficiency.
• Provide education for Health Care providers and new staff related to the EHR.
• Acts as primary contact for EMR system vendors and for clinical departments.
• Participates in off-site meetings to further knowledge in clinical systems and related objects.
• Serves as a mentor and super user in clinical information systems, teaching and motivating clinical staff in using the clinic/financial information systems to its fullest potential.
• Participates in developing policies and procedures pertaining to use of clinical information systems.
• Complies, understands, and enforces state and regulatory requirements related to the performance of TCHS operations and requirements, including but not limited to HIPAA, departmental and organization-wide policies, Critical Access requirements, and Federal and State of Nebraska regulations.
• Enhances personal growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
• Involved in a quality assurance program that provides optimal patient care and work collaboratively together with other hospital nursing team members to ensure quality patient care in regards to core measures and meaningful use.
• Performs other duties as assigned, including RN floor responsibilities in accordance with Registered Nurse job description, as necessary.
• Maintains the TCHS Behavior Standards and CORE VALUE program.